Executive Director, Magic Bus USA
Location: Flexible (Houston, East Coast, or West Coast preferred)
Magic Bus Overview
Founded in 1999, over 1 million children and young people have been part of Magic Bus programs. Magic Bus empowers at risk children and youth in India to break the cycle of poverty for themselves and their families by completing secondary school, delaying their age of marriage, and by gaining the skills needed for a formal sector job.
Magic Bus works with India’s poorest communities enabling children from ages 12 to 18 years to successfully fend off destabilizers such as early marriage and child labor and become first generation salary earners. The Magic Bus approach mobilizes the entire ecosystem available to the child or youth to create transformational change in their lives. Program participants stay with Magic Bus for seven years and attend weekly sport for development sessions, classroom enhanced education programs and attain livelihood skilling and job placement.
Magic Bus is a uniquely multi-faceted organization in the developmental sector with the energy and innovation of a start-up supported with the resources, scale, brand and network that has been built over 20-years. We attempt to leverage these strengths to innovate and develop financially sustainable and cutting-edge solutions to alleviating poverty.
Magic Bus is now one of the largest poverty alleviation programs in India, working in 22 states and 68 districts across India, with almost 6,000 trained youth volunteers and approximately 1,500 employees. Besides India, Magic Bus is currently working with children in Nepal, Bangladesh and Myanmar.
As Magic Bus moves beyond its 20-year journey having reached over a million children, the organization is now ready for its next chapter of scale to reach almost 2 million children and youth in the next 5 years. Achieving this ambitious mission will involve engaging significant individuals, institutions and government organizations to build collaborative networks, maximizing the charity’s scale and impact in India and South East Asia.
The Executive Director (ED) would be the key strategic and management leader for Magic Bus USA and will spearhead the next phase of growth. She/he would directly report to the Global Head of Partnerships and would actively work with the Magic Bus USA Board, senior staff and the India leadership team to build a comprehensive sustainability strategy, expand the funding base and raise the organizational profile in the US.
The ED is responsible for continuing the organization’s strategic direction, reputation and brand with stakeholder groups, facilitating an inclusive and growth-oriented work culture, as well as providing operational and administrative oversight. She/he would be at the forefront of all critical decision making, maintain high standards of trust and transparency, and provide leadership that is creative and flexible for meeting our over-arching goal of alleviating poverty through education, skills and employment.
Magic Bus USA is looking for an experienced global professional with an ability to articulate the conversation, construct, own and implement a strategy, and run operations to enable our next chapter of growth. We seek a dynamic and driven individual with a passion for addressing issues relating to poverty, gender equality and sustainable livelihoods.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced nonprofit leader who would be a great representative, and a strong and articulate advocate for Magic Bus, skilled in building partnerships and long-term relationships, and with considerable wisdom and knowledge of the international development sector, and a minimum of 6-8 years of successful executive leadership, fundraising, and management experience.
Development strategy and Fundraising
• Develop, lead and oversee the growth strategy and management for Magic Bus USA, including diversification of income streams such as HNIs, institutional donors, and corporate supporters; and partnership building.
• Working closely with Board of Directors, build local Chapter Boards across the US and increase visibility and fundraising through the chapters.
• Seek new opportunities for growth with strategic alliances and partnership opportunities.
• Strong representation, influencing and negotiation skills would be highly valuable.
Leadership and Board Relations
• Provide great leadership to the organization and the team, and foster the creation of an energetic, growth driven, inclusive culture.
• Work with the Board and inform and advice Board of significant developments/trends, growth/partnership opportunities, challenges and other factors that might affect the organization.
• Working with current Board leadership, develop and implement Board expansion strategy at national and chapter levels.
• Be the principal and lead advocate for the organization, and its chief spokesperson in the US.
Enhancing organizational visibility in the US
• This role is seen as critical to advancing Magic Bus vision and mission in the US, broadening reach and promoting our impact more effectively to key stakeholders, donors and other audiences, sharing successes and promoting Magic Bus in the US.
• She/he must have outstanding communication skills – be an attentive listener, articulate speaker, and clear and persuasive writer – a people’s person, with an ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships. A self-motivated, confident and influential style that is coupled with sensitivity and flexibility.
• A strong leader with high emotional intelligence and professional standards with experience and ability to communicate effectively in front of significant audiences. Previous experience as a speaker and thought leader in international development would be a big plus.
• Represent the organization to external constituencies at conferences, participation in working groups and other informal/formal networking/coalition building events.
• Lead/oversee strategic planning, management and production of events, knowledge workshops, large benefits, programmatic work and other similar initiatives.
• Lead in developing powerful messages that include thought, leadership and recognition of major donors and prospects to maintain and build the image of Magic Bus.
Operations, Resource Management and Administration
• Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning and management for nonprofits.
• Knowledge/familiarity with financial management and governance for nonprofits and ensure fiscal integrity.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
Candidates should include a resume and a cover letter that describes how their qualifications and experience match the needs of Magic Bus USA along with salary requirements, and how they learned of the position. Please include relevant material such as speaking engagements, published articles, link to LinkedIn profile etc.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications for the position will be considered.
Magic Bus USA is an equal-opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. This inclusive organization urges people from all racial and ethnic backgrounds, abilities, gender identities, religions, and ages to apply.
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the Subject line – “Executive Director-USA”